Mac's latest OS has added additional security features that favors Apple App Store purchases. We encountered this previously when installing Pharos printers in Mountain Lion. To successfully install Endnote X5 and X6 in Mountain Lion, preform the following tasks before attempting to launch Endnote for the first time.
- Go to the Mac’s Systems Preferences, usually in the Dock at the bottom of the screen (gears icon).
- Click on “Security & Privacy”
- Click on the “Lock” icon to make changes, authenticate with your computer login password.
- Change the preference “Allow applications downloaded from:” to “Anywhere”.
- Click the warning box stating that choosing “Anywhere” can make your Mac less secure. You can go back and change the setting after Endnote installs.
- Now you can click the Endnote_X# installer, drag the installer to the Apps folder and click on the Endnote X# icon to install and launch Endnote X# for the first time.